Top Medical Colleges in India offer MS courses, also known as Master of Surgery [MS]. It is a 3-year full-time PG course. To be eligible one has to qualify for an MBBS degree from a recognized medical college with at least 50% of marks (40% of marks is required for SC/ST/OBC). But, which are the top Medical Colleges in India that offer this course? Let’s discuss!
Both the government, private, and deemed colleges offer Master in Surgery (MS). Every college has its own sets of Eligibility criteria, Admission process, Course Curriculum, Fees, & Placements. Read further to know more about top medical colleges in India offering MS courses.
Top Medical Colleges in India Offering MS Courses
The average course fee at some of the top medical colleges in India to study MS courses varies between 10,000 to 10 Lakhs(INR). This course focuses on training students to become a surgeon in various fields.
Learners get to know about the various diseases, diagnose & manage them, and theoretically work on sectors like – Public health, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Epidemiology. Listed below are 19 top medical institutes in India offering the Master in Surgery Course.
19 Top Medical Colleges in India – MS Courses
Following are the college names, location, and the average course fees to study Master in Surgery.
|S.No.||College Name||Average Yearly Fee (INR)|
|1||Aligarh Muslim University in Aligarh (UP)||15,000|
|2||All India Institute of Medical Sciences (Bhopal)||16,000|
|3||Andhra Medical College – Visakhapatnam (AP)||9,95,000|
|4||Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute – Bangalore||14,000|
|5||Bharati Vidyapeeth in Pune (Maharashtra)||95,000|
|6||Coimbatore Medical College in Coimbatore (TN)||45,000|
|7||Deccan College of Medical Sciences in Hyderabad (Telangana)||9,45,000|
|8||Father Muller Medical College – Mangalore||1,80,000|
|9||Gauhati Medical College and Hospital in Gauhati (Assam)||2,50,000|
|10||Government Kilpauk Medical College in Chennai (TN)||12,300|
|11||Government Medical College in Srinagar (J & K)||36,000|
|12||Government Medical College in Nagpur (Maharashtra)||79,000|
|13||Gujarat University in Ahmedabad||18,000|
|14||Lady Hardinge Medical College in New Delhi||39,000|
|15||LNCT University in Bhopal||8,52,000|
|16||Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda in Vadodara||14,500|
|17||Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College in Indore||35,000|
|19||Savitribai Phule Pune University in Pune||66,000|
- Aligarh Muslim University – The university offers a 3 year MS course in General Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, and others. Aspirants must have an MBBS degree from the same University.
Aspirants also must have completed the Rotatory Internship (1 year) after passing the final exams of MBBS. One must be fully registered with MCI or the State Medical Council. In addition, one has to pass the PG-NEET exam.
- Coimbatore Medical College – It is one of the top medical colleges in India offering 3 year MS courses in various areas like General Surgery, ENT, Orthopaedics. Aspirants must have a degree in MBBS to be eligible.
- Government Kilpauk Medical College in Chennai (TN) – Government Kilpauk Medical College is one of the top Medical colleges in India offering Master in Surgery courses. The course is offered in the following areas – General Surgery, Orthopaedics, and ENT. To be eligible for these 3-year courses, one must graduate in relevant disciplines. Also, one has to pass the NEET – PG entrance exams.
- Lady Hardinge Medical College in New Delhi – The Lady Hardinge Medical College is among reputed medical institutes in India. The college offers 3 year MS courses in – Obstetrics & Gynaecology, General Surgery, Radio-Diagnosis, Dermatology Venereology & Leprosy, and Anaesthesiolog
To be eligible, one has to qualify MBBS from any college under DU and also must have completed a 1-year Internship. Also, NEET PG scores are required.
- PGIMER (Chandigarh) – It is among top medical colleges in India. The college MS courses (3 years) in various specializations like – General Surgery, Otolaryngology, Orthopaedics, and Ophthalmology.
To be eligible one has to possess an MBBS degree recognized by the MCI. Other than that, one has to qualify NEET PG exam.
Top Medical Colleges in India – MS Entrance Tests
Admission for Master of Surgery courses offered by top Medical Colleges in India is purely merit-based or scores in the entrance tests. Adding to that, colleges conduct counseling processes to shortlist students. Some of the well-known entrance exams are
- UP PGMEE
- PG NEET
The exam patterns of the courses vary. We will suggest checking more information about the exams on their official websites.
Career Scope after MS
Graduates can avail of a variety of job opportunities in the Health Centres, Nursing Homes, Medical Colleges, Laboratories, Research Institutes, Hospitals, etc. One can also be self-employed by starting their clinics, nursing homes, or hospitals.
Some of the top roles offered after passing from top Medical Colleges in India are –
- Lab Technician
- Pediatric Surgeon
- Neonatal Surgeon
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Vascular Surgeon
|Job Roles||Average Yearly Salary|
|Ophthalmologist||4 to 5 Lakhs INR|
|Neonatal Surgeon||10 to 15 Lakhs INR|
|Vascular Surgeon||10 – 12 Lakhs INR|
|Plastic Surgeon||12 – 14 Lakhs INR|
|Researcher||5 to 6 Lakhs INR|
In case you are planning for an MS course, this blog will help you to pin down on the top medical colleges in India offering this particular program. The fees, eligibility criteria and scope is mentioned above.
We will suggest checking the official websites of these top Medical Institutes of India to have all the information about application deadlines and other important updates. Also, visit the official portals of the various exams which are required to be taken to pursue an MS. All the best!