Sick, Injured and Can’t Work – What Happens Now?

Most people today depend on their monthly paycheck. Even if they have savings or passive income, the paycheck is still their biggest asset. That’s why losing the ability to work due to an injury or illness can be very harmful to people’s budgets. So what can you do if you’re sick or injured and unable to work? Here are a few steps to take that will ensure you are financially stable as you recover. 

Inform your doctor

As soon as anything happens to your health, make sure to see your doctor. Your health specialist will give you a good diagnosis and an approximate time you’ll be forced to stay out of your workplace. This information is necessary if you want to claim disability benefits. Once you have your diagnosis, see your employer and inform them immediately. In most countries, you can get temporary disability benefits if unable to work, and you can keep living off of that as long as six months. If your doctor predicted a speedy injury recovery (less than six months) you can start your application process. Just make sure both your employer and your doctor signed the right documents necessary for application. 

Listen to professionals

It’s very important to listen to your doctor’s orders when it comes to your ability to work. If you push yourself or return to work before being cleared, you can not only set your recovery back but also put your claims at risk. No matter how well you feel, make sure to consult with your doctor or even ask for a second opinion by an independent medical examiner. You can have a one-time visit to an independent examiner at your own cost (legally, your employer can also request a second opinion if they want one). It’s also important to consult a lawyer who can help with common legal issues

Apply for temporary disability

As stated above, in case you’re unable to work for a maximum of six months, you can get temporary disability benefits. Every country is different when it comes to payment, but in Australia, for instance, your weekly benefits will be equal to 66% of your weekly wage during your disability benefits. What’s very important is that you need to file your claim within thirty days. However, if you miss that window for a valid reason, you still might have a chance to get your benefits. But, it’s impossible to file a claim while you’re still working. Some people try to file claims before leaving work so that they don’t have to wait for the benefits to be processed, but that’s not a good path. 

Find a good lawyer and claim insurance money

In most countries, you can make a claim if you got injured at work or if you’re unable to work due to an illness. The best thing to do is seek the help of experienced superannuation lawyers who will revise your case and tell you what your next step should be. This will not only provide you with a handsome sum of money but also remove some of the financial burdens and allow you to focus on recovery. If your inability to work already puts you in a tough financial situation, it’s best to hire lawyers with a ‘No Win, No Charge’ policy. 

What to do in case of longer disability? 

In case your illness or injury prevents you from working for longer than six months, you can consider applying for social security benefits. In order to apply, you need to satisfy different criteria, depending on the country or state. In most cases, you need to have enough work years under your belt and you need to have at least ten years of paid social security bills. If those two criteria are satisfied, you can go confirm that your disability fits into social security standards. For veterans, the VA lists disabilities in order of severity, with monthly compensation being paid accordingly. You can see a disability calculator here for an estimated calculation of what you might be due. For those being denied a claim, there are specialized Military Lawers like Stone Rose Law who can help you obtain the benefits you have earned.

You need to have proof that you can’t do your job as well as you could before your illness or injury. And your inability to work needs to be expected to last for more than a year. All in all, in order to apply for social security benefits, your condition needs to be serious enough to prevent you from working. If you find yourself struggling to manage daily tasks at home, you may even wish to start thinking about looking at an in-home care provider – you could check out this great article from Care For Family as a starting point to see what this sort of service entails and whether or not it could be beneficial to you. 

Know the difference between types of insurance

Disability insurance and long-term care insurance might sound similar but they are very different, so it’s good to know it before you start choosing your plan. In most places, disability insurance provides a source of income for people under the age of 65 unable to work due to an illness or injury. On the other hand, long-term care insurance covers various health-related expenses. It covers regular benefits, post-op care costs and cost of care in case your symptoms become worse. It some cases, this type of insurance can also cover the costs of facility stay. 

Losing your way to earn money is very stressful, but there are still ways you can ensure you get monthly benefits. Analyze your situation, find good lawyers and you will get enough money to stay afloat and recover without too much worry about tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *