Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Day 4: Pretend Islands

Started by Jamie , author of hands on : as we grow 11/4/2011 6:58:05 AM

Get moving and get some of those imagination flowing with Day 4's challenge!

30 Days to Hands on Play  : Pretend Islands

Can't wait to see what becomes islands in your house, or how you stay out of the water today! Or maybe it won't be water at all! Lava anyone?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15

Great idea! Our kids often took about our sectional couch and used the pillows as islands, stepping stones and walls to castle. Kids can be so creative! Love your ideas.

""

Reply by Ginger

author of Uploads by 1212wright 11/4/2011 7:45:28 AM

ALTERNATIVE: We cant do this exactly, so I wanted to post our modifacation we will do in case others need it. My 9yo cant pretend (autism), my 2yo I dont really know? So I am going to take our large ABC tiles and have 6yo help create a maze. Then set the letter in place but not in the puzzle tile. We will start by forming a train and 9yo will stomp to push letters in and walk through the maze. THEN open it up for balance walking and pretend play for youngers.

I will post what happens. I will post everything soon, I have a vlog so it takes a few days to edit and post.

""

Reply by Amanda

author of The Educators' Spin On It 11/4/2011 9:50:44 AM

The kids were busy pretending to be new colonists this morning while I snuck online to check today's challenge!  PERFECT!  The pilgrims needed to get to the land somehow!  Our freshly cleaned living room is now the ocean with some islands and a laundry basket boat (kids idea)  I brought out the camera on minute 15 and didn't pick up the phone when it rang!  Tons of fun! 

""

Reply by Connie

author of Parenting the Tyke 11/4/2011 12:03:48 PM

Okay here is my blog for Day 4:

http://parentingthetyke.com/category/b5/30-days-of-play-challenge/

I want to personally thank you guys for this challenge. I feel like I am not wasting any precious time with my little one thanks to you guys. It is encouraging me to think outside of the box and just do it instead of waiting until tomorrow. Thanks!

""

Reply by Sarah

11/4/2011 1:45:13 PM

I had done the previous two challenges with my two year old but today his five year old sister got very involved. There was plenty of talk about crocodiles. The play tent came out to provide a shelter on the tropical island and then various areas emerged for sleeping, eating, cooking and stories. The funniest bit was that dd insisted that Sainsburys would deliver by boat so we ordered fish, curry and custard.

Thank you for giving the children so much fun.

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 11/4/2011 3:11:47 PM

Ginger I think this is WONDERFUL! I'm glad you're adapting it so fit him. I think your maze will go over great, I can't wait to hear how it went!

Ginger's profile picture
Ginger said ...
ALTERNATIVE: We cant do this exactly, so I wanted to post our modifacation we will do in case others need it. My 9yo cant pretend (autism), my 2yo I dont really know? So I am going to take our large ABC tiles and have 6yo help create a maze. Then set the letter in place but not in the puzzle tile. We will start by forming a train and 9yo will stomp to push letters in and walk through the maze. THEN open it up for balance walking and pretend play for youngers.

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 11/4/2011 3:13:03 PM

Love that a boat got involved!! Never thought of that and now it sounds SO OBVIOUS!

Amanda's profile picture
Amanda said ...
The kids were busy pretending to be new colonists this morning while I snuck online to check today's challenge!  PERFECT!  The pilgrims needed to get to the land somehow!  Our freshly cleaned living room is now the ocean with some islands and a laundry basket boat (kids idea)  I brought out the camera on minute 15 and didn't pick up the phone when it rang!  Tons of fun! 

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 11/4/2011 3:14:26 PM

You are very welcome! I am also thankful to be doing this challenge. Those 15 (+) minutes make all the difference in this household! Everyone is so much more relaxed!

Connie's profile picture
Connie said ...
I want to personally thank you guys for this challenge. I feel like I am not wasting any precious time with my little one thanks to you guys. It is encouraging me to think outside of the box and just do it instead of waiting until tomorrow. Thanks!

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 11/4/2011 3:17:26 PM

BTW - I Love your sensory islands! Perfect for your little boy!

Connie's profile picture
Connie said ...
Okay here is my blog for Day 4:

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 11/4/2011 3:27:05 PM

Oh i can't wait to see Henry's imagination at age 5! Sounds like she added a lot of new elements to the play! Fun! 

Sarah's profile picture
Sarah said ...
I had done the previous two challenges with my two year old but today his five year old sister got very involved. There was plenty of talk about crocodiles. The play tent came out to provide a shelter on the tropical island and then various areas emerged for sleeping, eating, cooking and stories. The funniest bit was that dd insisted that Sainsburys would deliver by boat so we ordered fish, curry and custard.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Be nice. Don't spam.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS