Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Day 1 of Hands on Play Challenge

Started by Jamie , author of hands on : as we grow 11/1/2011 7:54:17 AM

The Imagination Tree and I kicked off the challenge today! We hope you'll all join us for this fun, play-filled month!

Today is day 1 of the challenge, and to get you started, we gotta figure out what you want to accomplish! As well as learn about your kids a little, so you can tailor the activities to fit them best.

Share with us your 'mission statement' for the challenge as well as three things about your kids, interests (or no an interest), behaviors, etc!

Here's the kickoff post for the 30 Days to Hands on Play Challenge, as well as Today's Challenge: http://www.handsonaswegrow.com/2011/11/challenge-30-days-to-hands-on-play.html

I'm looking forward to seeing what your kids are into!

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25

I want my children to be able to play with me without 'sharing' mommy.  As a home daycare provider they share me, their toys, and home with other children for much of the day.  This will be 'our' time together and without me thinking about everything that still needs to be done!

M's (6 YO) interests:  gymnastics, playing school, crafting

B's (2.75 YO) interests: cuddling and reading books, playing cars/trains, coloring/painting

""

Reply by Tara

author of In Defense Of Myself 11/1/2011 3:48:55 PM

I am a working mother with a nanny at home who mirrors what we do at nights and on weekends.  They get lots of play with her but I would like to have special time with them in the evenings or on weekends that is rich in play with both daddy and I.  We encorporate the outdoors as much as possible and gravitate towards the hands on activities for both our little ones.

B's (2 YO) interests:  dancing to any music or making up her own songs to dance to, running around like a crazy girl, talking non-stop, "reading" books herself, art of any kind, and cooking with mom

Z's (10 MO) interests:  watching his sister run around, learning to walk, "chewing" on paper, turning items with his hands, opening and shutting things, pouring things out, and babbling with B

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 11/1/2011 8:53:15 PM

This is an incredible mission statement. I think it will be very rewarding for all of you for that special 'our time'.

Leigh's profile picture
Leigh said ...
I want my children to be able to play with me without 'sharing' mommy.  As a home daycare provider they share me, their toys, and home with other children for much of the day.  This will be 'our' time together and without me thinking about everything that still needs to be done!

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 11/1/2011 8:55:35 PM

Another important mission statement! That special time with them that you'll get to have during this challenge I think will be very rewarding! I can't wait to see how your household will evolve during the month!

Tara's profile picture
Tara said ...
I am a working mother with a nanny at home who mirrors what we do at nights and on weekends.  They get lots of play with her but I would like to have special time with them in the evenings or on weekends that is rich in play with both daddy and I.  We encorporate the outdoors as much as possible and gravitate towards the hands on activities for both our little ones.

""

Reply by Vanessa

11/1/2011 8:57:12 PM

I'd like to focus on enjoying the type of play my oldest wants to play. I'm the more set stuff up or craft or build type. He would really love it if I got into his dramatic play too. I'd love to meet him where he is now. And I'd love to manage the "two kids at the same time play" more gracefully. So often the little ones needs take precedent. I'd like to be more creative in keeping the play going, even when a dirty diaper interrupts.

V-4 loves superheros, ninjas, dinosaurs,pirates, and anything good guy bad guy related. He also loves human body stuff, nature, rockstar stuff and shopping. As well as anything active like rough housing, tag, balls, bean bags ect...

R-1 loves animals, stuffed toys, babies, phones, and riding toys. He loves anything sensory like rice play, messy art, water play, play silks, rocking horses, and most of all dancing.

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 11/1/2011 9:02:35 PM

Oh the trickiness of balancing the two. I'm still learning as well! Its hard! I really hope this challenge helps you focus on what your child loves and alter the challenges we bring you to fit your family the best! 

If you're stumped for ideas on a challenge, be sure to post on here and we'll lend some ideas!

Vanessa's profile picture
Vanessa said ...
I'd like to focus on enjoying the type of play my oldest wants to play. I'm the more set stuff up or craft or build type. He would really love it if I got into his dramatic play too. I'd love to meet him where he is now. And I'd love to manage the "two kids at the same time play" more gracefully. So often the little ones needs take precedent. I'd like to be more creative in keeping the play going, even when a dirty diaper interrupts.

""

Reply by Connie

author of Parenting the Tyke 11/1/2011 10:38:55 PM

I am so excited about this challenge. I think it is perfect for the month of Thanksgiving. We should all be thankful for our children and appreciate the time we have with them. I am in! Here is the link to my blog with my mission statement:

http://parentingthetyke.com/new-posts/

""

Reply by Anna

author of The Imagination Tree 11/2/2011 3:59:34 AM

Oh it's SO exciting to read the mission statements and know that people are joining us! 

I love all the ones on here so far and the related posts that you are writing.

It's clear that we are all in different situations with full-time, part-time work or staying at home, but most of us still need and crave that 1:1 time with our children each day!

Hopefully by making it short and intense bursts of hands on, distraction free play we should be able to really get to know them and spend some REAL quality time with them this month.

I'm excited for our first challenge Jamie!!

""

Reply by Bianca

author of magendi 11/2/2011 4:48:33 AM

So excited for this!

You can find my mission statement and my little guys' likes on my blog: http://magendi.blogspot.com/.

little c is 11 months old...

""

Reply by Kristin

author of Sense of Wonder 11/2/2011 7:09:12 AM

I'd like to figure out how to divide my time between all my children. My oldest is 12 and is pretty independent. Being "involved" with her usually means driving her from one activity to the next. She does still like to play though, she loves board games and is very competitive. Maybe I can figure out a game night where we can play regularly.

As for the other two, Birdy is 4. She loves to play outside, loves to explore, loves to climb trees, loves to dig in dirt. Bug is 17 months. He loves any thing as long as he is around his sisters and mommy. He just wants to be in the middle of whatever we are doing.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Be nice. Don't spam.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS