Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Are paper books dead?

Started by Carrie , author of Pocket Your Dollars 11/4/2010 7:14:08 AM

Apart from reading paper books to your kids, do you yourself read paper books or have you switched to eBooks on a Kindle, Nook or other device?

I haven't made the switch yet, but I am starting to get the itch. On the other hand, the Minnesota nice part thinks, "but if I quit reading printed material I am helping the industry die - and somehow I feel a tinge of sadness about it. (Just being honest).

Anyone else relate? Should I switch? Should I stick it out with paper books for awhile longer?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 44
""

Reply by Hopeful

11/4/2010 7:55:14 AM

I personally like the "old fashioned" way.smiley

I think that books will survive ~ not to the degree we had them ~ I have a kindle and it saves paper and ink and well, I still buy art books ~ and it is important for children to learn about books and have something "real" to touch ~ hoping for survival of books! hugs and namaste, cz :)

I think books will survive for two reasons:

It's hard to use a Kindle or an iPad in the bath or poolside.

All these electronic gadgets need batteries/recharging.

I personally don't need another electronic device in my house that needs updating,downloading, etc. 

I love the feel of books and the noise they make as the page turns. I had a iPad, but didn't like the feeling of the fake page turning. 

""

Reply by Holly

author of thatonecrazyfamily 11/4/2010 9:25:33 AM

Christina's profile picture
Christina said ...
It's hard to use a Kindle or an iPad in the bath or poolside.

Lol! My husband keeps telling me he's not going to replace my Sony after I drop it in the tub. I always have it in there! :)

Anyways, to answer your question, Carrie, I think, yes, probably eventually, but not for awhile. There are still a lot of people out there that like the real thing, but I say give it another 10-15 years, and the next generation of kids won't really know much else - at least from a teenager/adult prespective.

I LOVE my Sony - I love that I have a ton of books at my fingertips. I take it everywhere - I'll pull it out while I'm in line at the store even. I still have my huge collection of actual books that I probably won't ever get rid of, but, truth be told, they have mostly sat untouched in the past year. I've even downloaded digital copies of actual books I own to reread, so I guess that says something.

I'm guessing by the time my 4 year old gets to middle/high school he will have his own reader of some kind to read school books on, and that will be the "norm" for at least middle-upper class schools.  

""

Reply by sarah

11/4/2010 9:49:07 AM

i love the feel, sound and smell of real books.  I will probably buy real books as long as they are available.  I love sitting down and reading with my kids.  That said, I wish schools would switch to Ipads and have all the textbooks downloaded on them. Seems like it would eventually be more cost effective, school pays for one ipad per student per year, parents pay for replacements if necessary.  I would go for it right now if it was an option. I would probably be willing to pay for the initial one just to ease the load my kids carry around. 

I hope not. I, too, love how books look, feel, and smell. I can't imagine a world without them!

I completely agree that books just have a feel to them! It's a feel that I don't get when I'm reading books online or anything like that. They're really very special. I just went to the library last night and checked out 15 books!!

""

Reply by As Seen On TV Shopper

author of As Seen On TV Items - Infomercials TV 11/4/2010 10:25:03 AM

My husband has been an avid reader and I got him the kindle last Christmas, it took him a few months to really use it because I believe he didn't think he would appreciate it as much as actually holding the book. He was pleasantly surprised and now loves the kindle.

We are renovating and have removed so many books from the house because of todays technology, I have to say getting that space back is great!

""

Reply by UnplannedCooking

author of Unplanned Cooking 11/4/2010 11:32:03 AM

I love the feel of a book, as well as the feel of a library - which is like my second home :). I hope that books don't go away.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS