Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Help Battling the Terrible 3's!

Started by Laurie , author of Guessing all the Way 4/18/2010 12:00:20 AM

Okay, so we breezed right through the terrible 2's without a problem.  Then, he turned 3! LOL

Does anybody have good advice on disciplining a three year old.  What has worked for you?  What hasn't worked for you? 

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14
""

Reply by Tanya ~ The Chatty M

author of TheChattyMom.com 4/23/2010 3:26:11 PM

I'm still battling...from 2-5.  Both of my girls hate having to sit in the corner...just like I did when I was their age.  I do one minute for their age (3 yr old = 3 minutes)  And then try to talk to them about what they did that was wrong.

Hope this helps.

""

Reply by Laurie

author of Guessing all the Way 4/24/2010 11:00:31 AM
Tanya, 
First I wanted to say thanks so much for responding to my cry for help. LOL

My son used to be so mild mannered and still is for the most part.  HOWEVER....when he gets it in his mind that he wants something he doesn't want to hear the word no.  I understand that, because I realize noone wants to hear no about something they want.  

The difference between he and I is he starts doing this screaming thing.  Last night at dinner he didn't want what I made and wanted me to make something else.  When I said no, he threw the best fit yet!  Of course we had company over, so it was a proud mommy moment. heehee

I did the time out thing, but he sat there the whole time and screamed at the top of his lungs.  He did finally settle down but it took a while.  I am going to still keep up with that method and see what happens....  Thanks for the help:)

""

Reply by Tonya

author of Create-Celebrate-Explore 4/24/2010 12:35:04 PM
I swear the 3's and so much worse than the so called "terrible-twos".  I have two 3 year olds and there are some days I really think I will lose my mind.  Yesterday they spent so much time in time-out that they eventually fell asleep for 2 hours in bed.  It saved my sanity ha ha.  My little boy sounds similar to yours, he does not hear the word 'no'.  I must have told him at least 10 times yesterday not to turn on the tap in the backyard, yet every single time my back was turned, he would turn it on and flood the yard because he wanted to jump in mud puddles.  Then the mud would be trekked into the house.  I would put him in time out and he would do it again.  Even when I banned him from going outside and made him play indoors, it only took me going to the bathroom or putting clothes away upstairs and he would unlock the door and turn the tap right back on again.   Thank goodness my little girl will listen to no and time-outs do work for her, but the ear-piercing screaming could leave me with a burst eardrum.   She is very particular and very set in her ways and is very quick to point out if I have not done something to her standards.

""

Reply by Laurie

author of Guessing all the Way 4/24/2010 3:19:32 PM
Tonya, That sounds like how my little girl will be too.  She can already at one hit octave's that I have only heard from Mariah Carey!
I am so glad to know that I am not the only mommy trying to figure out this terrible 3 thing.  It has really been a shock for me, because up til now, he has always been so calm and laid back.
I guess all we can do is pray for strength not to kill them before they reach 4. LOL  That is a hoot about yours falling asleep!  I am sure it did save your sanity.
Tell you what, if along the way I find something that works, I will clue you in and you do the same, OKAY?  
Until then, hang in there mama!! It can't be this way forever.

""

Reply by Vickie

author of Yours,Mine&Ours 4/27/2010 12:13:12 PM
well,as a Mom of 6 an grandmother of 5,I called the terrible 2's,then the 3's the" God Awful Three's",they were so much worse than the 2's were,an then it got a bit better an they turned in to TEEN"S,OMG,my Mama always said when they are little they step on your feet an then when they get bigger they step on your heart,mine range in age from 18-35yrs.so the problems just get larger in size,an what works on one kid wont work on another,found that out real soon,hang in there kiddo,you will survive an so will they!

""

Reply by Laurie

author of Guessing all the Way 4/27/2010 10:45:46 PM
Vickie, 
I sure hope so.  I know I will survive, but I am worried about him. LOL  He can be the sweetest little thing at times, and then the next second it is like someone flipped the switch.  We have our good and bad days, but regardless, I don't know what I would do without him.  He is my angel!

""

Reply by Alisha

author of Knifty Thrifty 4/29/2010 9:45:00 AM
The "terrible 3's" hit us too. We are a month from her fourth birthday and it's like there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel.
I've always gotten through hard "mommy times" by remembering something my Mom told me when my oldest was born and we were in the hospital. A nurse had just tried to tell me I was holding the baby too much, and my Mom stepped in and told the nurse to mind her business and go find someone else to give advice to. She turned to me and said that I should hold my Baby as often and as long as I wanted. I should hold her that day because she is only going to be two days old, just this one day, and I should hold her. That stuck with me.
So later on when she was ten months old and teething and screaming and I thought I was going to lose my mind, I picked her up and rocked her in a chair and kept reminding myself that she was only going to be ten months old, just this one time, so despite it being difficult I could get through it.
Reminding myself that it doesn't last forever really helps!

""

Reply by Laurie

author of Guessing all the Way 4/29/2010 11:57:41 PM
WOW Alisha, I loved that!  What a great way to see past the hard times.  Thank you so much for sharing such a positive way to get through those rough days.  I really appreciate you taking the time to post it.  Just BEAUTIFUL!  Your mom sounds like a pretty great lady.  I loved that she told the nurse to scram.  Good for mom!

""

Reply by amanda

author of 2 Monsters and A Princess 5/2/2010 8:31:36 AM
I have a terrible 3 daughter now and what seems to work the most with her is taking away her favorite things,Reagan loves to play nintendo DS and sh loves to color and read her books so those are the first things to be taken when she is bad.I put them in a place she can see but not get to and she gets them back after she finishes (she loves to get up from the table and play while eating and hates to pick up her room) or after a certain time depending on what she did.With my boys it was the Fearsome Fours that were the hardest..I hope Reagan skips that one..lol.

""

Reply by Laurie

author of Guessing all the Way 5/6/2010 12:40:30 AM
Hi Amanda, 

I wanted to let you know that I tried your technique.  My son threw a fit the other day so I took away one of his trains and put it high on the mantle.  It worked GREAT.    I can't wait to see if it continues to work.  Thanks so much for the advice.  It is definitely a learning process.  I am glad to have you guys for help!
Please don't tell me there is a Fearsome FOURS!! LOL

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

The only rules I have here are be kind to others. I want people to be able to talk here without having to worry about anything nasty being said. If you are part of this community, I know you wouldn't want to say anything nasty anyway. You guys are all great! Just remember that please:)

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS