Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Water birth...

Started by nicole , author of Modern Style Mama 7/6/2010 11:49:36 AM

I prefer the all natural way.  I have had to natural medication free births and one epidural.  Im not against epidurals and I did need one but I would just prefer to avoid this time around.

I am very excited because my midwife just delivery a baby via a waterbirth for the first time.  I didn't think we could do them here in upstate NY.  It is my hope that I will be able to have one with this pregnancy.  

Have you ever had a waterbirth?   What was your experience?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17
""

Reply by Mama M.

author of My Little Life 7/6/2010 4:55:27 PM

We don't do waterbirths in our hospital...too many OB's and not enough midwives (IMO!!).

For me, the jury's still out on how I feel about them, but I think I am a product of my environment. I did watch some live water births on YouTube, and I'll be honest...some of them freaked me out!

But on the other hand, I can see how a waterbirth would be an amazing experience! As an "au naturale" birther myself, I spent the majority of my labors in the the tub...and it was wonderful!

I think I could be persuaded to be pro-waterbirth... ;)

""

Reply by CM

author of A Little Lilac 7/6/2010 5:03:06 PM

My second son was a waterbirth. It was the most peaceful, beautiful experience! I loved it. As the midwife brought Cubbie up from under the water, my husband was the first face he saw.

I tried to do a waterbirth with my first son, but he got stuck coming out and had to be vacuumed out.

I would highly recommend it if you meet all the qualifications...ie, no complications, not a high risk birth, ect. Let me know if you have any questions, feel free to email me :-)

""

Reply by Sami

author of Journey to Family 7/9/2010 5:41:55 PM

I would definitely consider a water birth at some point when I am having children. My only concerns are the fact that I have some health issues and my guess is the docs would be pretty reluctant to do anything but a normal hospital birth. I vote no medication though, if I can handle it. 

""

Reply by Mama M.

author of My Little Life 7/9/2010 6:18:26 PM

Unmedicated births are awesome!

Not that there's anything wrong with meds...but it is so wonderful and so empowering to feel and see what your body can do!

""

Reply by trooppetrie

author of Troop Petrie 8/11/2010 6:56:24 AM

My friend had one when we lived in Germany. I was so excited to be able to do the same but sadly it did not work out. I would just make sure your midwife has done several of them before doing it

""

Reply by claire

author of Sexified! 11/19/2010 7:17:21 AM

I had a water birth for my third baby and it was amazing, you can read about it on my personal blog:

http://monkeymu.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-had-my-baby.html

I'd recomend it if you can do it then go for it!

I've only just been turned on to this idea. I'd have never considered it before, and then during our socio-cultural anthropology class, we watched 'The Business of Being Born'.Now, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way than naturally! 

Granted, its a long ways away, but the epidural/pitocin process scares the hell out of me. 

Definitely a "natural" birther here too - the thought of epidural needles scared me WAY more than the thought of the pain of birthing.

I had a water birth with my second baby.(my third came too fast to barely even make it to the hospital and by number four i just wanted the alien OUT by any means possible).

The water birth was absolutely the most intense, empowering, amazing experience - probably of my life truly. I could feel every single cell of that little body being born from me - and to this day - i wonder if that's why she and I have such a weird crazy connection. i mean - I connect with all of my babies in their own ways - but with K2, it is very intense. Much like her birth was.

I would highly recommend seeking more information on how to make this happen if its something you would like to try. And if you end up only laboring in the water and pushing out of the tub - you will still have had a unique way to help relieve some of the pain.

good luck with your decision and I hope you can find a way to make it work for you!

terra

""

Reply by Mama M.

author of My Little Life 11/19/2010 11:57:40 PM

Terra, you totally just made me want to have a water birth.

Only, I'm done having kids, so I'll just hafta settle for watching videos on YouTube while my husband looks at me like I've grown another head.

Terra...how's you're babe?

MamaM - you should also vicariously have a nearcarbirth. Equally as empowering to push a baby's head back IN with your hand as it is to push it OUT in the water.

sorry was that TMI???

The littlest bugger is perking up a little bit finally on her third bag of iv fluids. i am hoping we get sprung from the big house by early afternoon. thanks for thinking of us!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

I welcome discussions of any kind...and disagreements in view points. I just ask that you please be respectful and kind when disagreeing!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS