Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Twitter Jail - How to Avoid Getting Thrown in the Virtual Slammer

Started by Monika , author of Monika's Blog 3/8/2012 5:46:32 PM

On occasion we at BlogFrog throw Twitter parties. I bet many of you have either helped us host (thanks again!) or have participated (big thanks to you too!).

Don't know what a Twitter party is? The brief explanation is an hour long event on Twitter using the same hashtag. The host asks a series of questions (say 10 over the course of the hour) and the people participating answer. Sometimes there are prizes, sometimes we donate to a charity in your name, and sometimes they are just for the fun of getting together with like-minded people on Twitter to share tips, tricks, ideas and to talk.

During the last two parties that I threw, I had two of my hosts get put into Twitter jail! Neither of them were familiar with the term, so I thought I would turn to our blog and share with everyone just what Twitter jail is and what you do to get there (aka, how to avoid getting thrown in the slammer).

One gets thrown into Twitter jail for doing one of the following (taken directly from Twitter's help page):

• Updates: 1,000 per day. The daily update limit is further broken down into smaller limits for semi-hourly intervals. Retweets are counted as updates.
  • Direct Messages: 250 per day.
  • Changes to Account Email: 4 per hour.
  • Following (daily): Please note that this is a technical account limit only, and there are additional rules prohibiting aggressive following behavior. You can find detailed page describing following limits and prohibited behavior on the Follow Limits and Best Practices Page. The technical follow limit is 1,000 per day.
  • Following (account-based): Once an account is following 2,000 other users, additional follow attempts are limited by account-specific ratios. The Follow Limits and Best Practices Page has more information.
While they do not state what the magical tweets per hour are, I have heard 100 tweets an hour from people who I would consider to be 'in the know.' They have a few other help pages, but you basically have to wait until the hour is up until you can tweet, follow and DM again.
So there you have it. If you plan on participating in a Tweet chat or Twitter party, be sure you don't go over the update limits!

Have other Twitter related questions? Feel free to leave the question below, and I will do my darndest to find you the answer!

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 11 - 20 of 25
And if you want to tweet away have a twitter handle back up LOL! It was such a rockin' party with Blog Frog that landed me for the first time in Twitter Jail! I took it as a right of passage and an accomplishment of sorts!

""

Reply by Crystal

author of Simply Being Mommy 3/23/2012 11:55:53 AM
Great to know, thanks Monika!

""

Reply by Monika

author of Monika's Blog 3/23/2012 11:58:44 AM

Happy to have you as part of the club. wink

And what a great tip! Backup Twitter handles are a great idea. I am lucky in that I can split responses between my personal, @monikarun, and @theblogfrog. 

Colleen's profile picture
Colleen said ...
And if you want to tweet away have a twitter handle back up LOL! It was such a rockin' party with Blog Frog that landed me for the first time in Twitter Jail! I took it as a right of passage and an accomplishment of sorts!

""

Reply by Jackie

author of FREE IS MY LIFE 3/23/2012 12:49:25 PM
Good to know. I had not heard the term before.

""

Reply by Anjanette "Momma" Young

author of Momma Young at Home 3/23/2012 5:03:45 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I guess those of us who take our Social Media Addiction to its fullest will be convicts, in the twitter sense.

""

Reply by Rachel

author of A Moms Rantings 3/24/2012 9:51:49 PM
I end up in twitter jail quite often "wooops".. I have a problem with excessive tweeting. lol... It's no fun i Jail. Especially if you need to get a tweet out before anyone else does.. Because you HAVE to be the 1st one to say it... lol

I do end up on twitter jail too!

how.... i have no words. who uses twitter that much LOL I certainly never have... don't think i could. you must be very busy peoples.

""

Reply by Monika

author of Monika's Blog 3/28/2012 12:02:32 PM

Ha! Sometimes we just get really excited about the topics we are Tweeting ;)

Jenny's profile picture
Jenny said ...
how.... i have no words. who uses twitter that much LOL I certainly never have... don't think i could. you must be very busy peoples.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Just be awesome, and always remember "it's your product, we're just building it for you"

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS