Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

10 Things We Wish Pinterest Could Do

Started by Anne , author of BlogFrog Blog — We Turn Blogs Into Communities 2/22/2012 2:43:07 PM

At BlogFrog, we’re all about connecting. Blogs, communities, conversations, Facebook, Twitter--if it involves sharing, we love it. Recently, the hot topic around here has been Pinterest, the pin-board style social sharing website. We’ve gotten on board (no pun intended) and have been pinning up a storm.

We love the ease with which we can share our favorite blog posts, recipes, craft ideas, fashion choices and more (check out our boards here). However, we couldn’t help but wish for a few features not currently offered. And since BlogFrog is always striving to be a better tool for bloggers and readers, we thought we’d pass the baton onto Pinterest with the 10 things we wish Pinterest could do. Read on, and let us know what you think!

1.     Pin photos directly from Instagram (API Integration)

While we don’t mind the Pinterest mobile app, it won’t let us make our photos instantly more beautiful with Lomo-fi, Sutro, Hefe and other Instagram styles we’ve come to love. Also, our Instagram account is already synced to our social networks. We don’t want to spend 5 minutes uploading it to another one.

2.     Manage comments

We promise we’re not trying to turn Pinterest into Facebook. We like Pinterest. But if there’s a rude comment on one of our boards or someone is adding spammy links in the comment section, we’re going to want those gone.

3.     Allow you to say 'I've seen this pin' and hide it from your feed

Viral happens. Especially in the blog/online/social media world. If we’ve already seen a pin a few times, let us have the option to hide it from our feed. That way, if and when it goes viral it won’t dominate our Pinterest page. Yes, the video is hilarious…but not 134 times.

4.     Let us know when people we follow add new boards

If we’ve chosen to follow someone, we probably like their boards. With that in mind, let us know when there’s a new one!

5.     Make Pinterest available to everyone

We have lots of cool, creative friends that haven’t gotten the invite yet. We miss them in this social space, and want them to join in the pinning fun!

6.     Teach us how to use it

People, and brands for that matter, are still foggy on the purpose. Host a webinar, throw up an informative video, it can even be as simple as a blog post on the top 10 reasons to use Pinterest. We’re already raving about Pinterest, so help us explain it.

7.     Embed boards right on a blog

How cool would it be to have a “Pinterest” page embedded in our blog, where readers interact with our boards without being redirected to Pinterest? We do it with BlogFrog communities, and it keeps the conversation in one place. A huge plus, we think.  

8.     Update the search feature

We’re having a hard time finding the bloggers and people we like, and would really love better search functionality.

9.     Limit number of characters in description of pins

This suggestion is in the Pinterest-like spirit of giving credit where credit is due. If pinners decide to copy and paste a whole post or recipe into the description section, the original source/blogger is missing out on that traffic and engagement. Don’t let your biggest users down!

10.  Private lists

Sometimes, we get overwhelmed (don’t tell anyone). With that in mind, we would love to see a listing function--similar to Twitter--so we could make private lists of our friends’ boards and see them at a glance.

Phew! Well, that’s our list. What’s on your Pinterest wish list? Share your thoughts here in the BlogFrog community!

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 56
""

Reply by Julianna

author of The Mechanical Bull 2/22/2012 4:16:17 PM

All excellent points! Couldn't agree more!

""

Reply by Elaine

2/22/2012 4:18:10 PM

I would love to be able to do a private list, especially for planning trips with friends around the country.

""

Reply by Monika

author of Monika's Blog 2/22/2012 4:20:36 PM

Great list!

One other thing I would add: after leaving a comment on a pin, have the ability to not be notified of all other comments. Similar to how Facebook allows you to unfollow a post. 

I agree with these.  That "I've already seen this pin" would be very good for those pins that are just racy enough you don't want to view them again."

I don't have a Pinterest account, so what's on my wish list is to have an account. 

What's it like? Is it really all that people are saying it is? 

Thanks. 

I think the "make pinterest available to everyone" is really important. If people/brands want more engagement then they really need to make this open to the public and not have to be invited first.

It's pretty fun, and a great way to keep track of your favorite things online (at least that's what I use it for). Head to http://pinterest.com/ and click the "Request an Invite" button! I'm not sure how long it takes these days, but it's definitely worth joining!

Carlo's profile picture
Carlo said ...
What's it like? Is it really all that people are saying it is? 

""

Reply by Deb

author of Crow's Creek Primitives 2/22/2012 4:47:31 PM

Yes to all . Great ideas and I just pinned it . LOL

""

Reply by Emily

author of Scribbles from Emily 2/22/2012 4:50:14 PM

I love these ideas! I especially like the idea of managing comments and updating the search feature. Some people on Pinterest are just plain rude, and I've often been frustrated with the results I get with the search feature. Embedding an entire board on a blog would be really cool!

""

Reply by Marie

author of Raising Great Men 2/22/2012 5:13:53 PM

This is a great list. It would be ideal to have the features you mentioned. I love the idea of managing  comments.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Just be awesome, and always remember "it's your product, we're just building it for you"

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS